What is pronunciation?
Pronunciation is the way in which a word or a language is spoken. This may refer to generally agreed-upon sequences of sounds used in speaking a given word or language in a specific dialect ("correct pronunciation"), or simply the way a particular individual speaks a word or language
Why do we have pronunciation errors?
We come from a region where there is no fuss about pronunciation. Maatraas make it easier. We have a well-defined structure of phonetics in Indian languages. We are used to that rich well defined phonetic. We should be proud of that, however, English is given a lot of importance today and we must learn the correct pronunciation
Wrong pronunciation: pi-ther
Correct pronunciation: pik-cher
Wrong pronunciation: sea-wage
Correct pronunciation: soo-ij
Wrong pronunciation: exe-cu-tive
Correct pronunciation: exec-i-tive
Wrong pronunciation: re-la-tive
Correct pronunciation: rel-uh-tiv
Wrong pronunciation: tor-toise
Correct pronunciation: tawr-tuh
How to improve my pronunciation?
Improving pronunciation can only be done with practice. Practicing daily causes what is called muscle memory, our lips and tongues being muscles remember how to pronounce a word only if we practice enough.
Here are a few steps to help you improve:
- Learn to listen: Before you learn how to speak, you’ll need to learn how to listen. Keep your ears open around people who speak English. Listen to the way they pronounce words and try to repeat.
- Learn from someone who speaks well: You must f8nd someone with a neutral accent and learn the proper position of the tongue and lips.
- Make a list of common words you use. Ask a fluent speaker to pronounce the words and record them. Listen to them and try to pronounce them the same way.
- Until you learn the correct pronunciation SPEAK SLOWLY. Of you speak very fast, you will go back to the old way of pronouncing.
- Pronounce the ending of each word especially the S and D.
- Video Record yourself: This is one of the most effective tools you can use. When you record yourself, you can see the movement of your lips and see if you are pronouncing them correctly.